(and anyone who has good parental advise)
I only have 14 days (2weeks) until my potential due date
and who knows...this little guy could come early
(if Brandon's prayers are answered).
Generally I am one that can just deal with things as they come without much thought, but the more I think about this whole "mom" thing, the more nervous I get and unprepared I feel.
Seriously though...
Seriously though...
can I really be fully prepared for something like this?
Everyone keeps asking me if I'm ready and all I can think is
Everyone keeps asking me if I'm ready and all I can think is
"am I supposed to be?"
I mean I have the room painted, his clothes all hung neatly, diapers stacked, names in mind, and many good intentions to finish last minute things this week,
but am I every going to be really ready?
I already know the answer to my question,
I already know the answer to my question,
and that is not what I am asking.
What I really want from all of you is advise.
What I really want from all of you is advise.
I figure if I am going to be as ready as I can be, I can't do it alone.
I have never done this mom thing before
and I only know so much.
If everyone could please just give me a little something that they have found or know is important when it comes to babies
If everyone could please just give me a little something that they have found or know is important when it comes to babies
(labor, delivery, hospital, the first night home, babies, etc.)
I figure I will end up with a pretty good list
and be able to be "ready" haha!!!
Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing all your little bits of ADVISE!!!
Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing all your little bits of ADVISE!!!





15 comments:
Megan that was an awesome post. All very true. You shouldn't be ready. It didn't hit me until my nurse said "time to push" and then I almost broke down because I didn't feel ready. You can watch your nieces and nephews a million times and it is nothing like having your own. With that said...my advice is:
1. Don't expect to go early. I was going on a week overdue when Jane finally came. Then you can't be disappointed.
2. Labor is the easy part (as long as all goes well which I am sure it will)
3. Only listen to advice that you want to. Only YOU know how to take care of YOUR baby. You will learn as you go.
Can't wait to meet him! Good luck we love ya!
my advice because I'm sooo qualified to give this advise: spend lots of time with chris and stacey!! They are good influences and we love duckie like a son. Love ya!!
My advice....Enjoy the hospital! Let the nurses take your baby to the nursery at night so you can get rest! (believe me, he will be well taken care of) AND...let them pamper you.
Also, always go with your instincts. We have them for a reason. You are the Mom, and only YOU will know what is best for your baby.
I'm so excited for you. I didn't feel ready at all for my first baby, or even my second:) I don't think you ever can I guess:) My advice would be:
1. You will sleep again. You will have nights and some days where you feel so tired, but those sleepless nights will eventually pass, so try to enjoy that time with your baby instead of fight it(i didn't figure that out until baby #2).
2. Sleep when the baby sleeps.
3. Trust your instinct...it's true, only you know what's best for your baby.
4. Get ready to go through a ton of diapers:) Jonah goes through about 11 a day:)!
5. So this might sound a little crazy, but it's worked for me and lots of friends. The day you have him start drinking lots of pineapple juice until your milk comes in. It has an enzyme in it that keeps you from getting engorged really bad...that will save you some pain:)
*Just enjoy everything...the labor, the restful time in the hospital, the sleepless nights. It is all so amazing and you will love being a mom. Good luck with everything. Sorry I just wrote a novel:) Can't wait to see pictures of your sweet little boy. Go get 'em:)!
Megan I am so happy for you. You will never be a first time mom again. There is nothing like that first baby. My advice is to enjoy EVERY second. I know everyone says it - but they grow up soooo fast.
Just remember to keep breathing and trust your instincts. They really do kick in. You will know what's best for your little guy.
Accept all help that is offered because after a couple of weeks, the help seems to disappear and you are on your own.
Good Luck! We can't wait to hear how it all goes.
Hello, i know we dont know each other but i came across your blog. I had my baby 7 months ago and i will tell you this website has saved me many days and nights of worry. It's also nice to know people who are going through the same thing. Just register a screen name and if you want you can find a due date club ( the month the baby was born ) and join. If you need anything let me know..
Amy =)
http://www.justmommies.com/
Brandon and i were friends in high school so give him a big high fiver!!! first of all...get the baby whisperer book, it saved my life!! It helps you stay sane. All i can say is that because of that book my 2 year old still takes 4 hour naps......i hope it stays when the other one comes!
-Remember that it is ok to be up at night feeding-you have no where to be the next day but in your jammies with your little guy!
-take advantage of the the nursery at the hospital. ya ya its your first, but i promise....you need all the sleep you can get and you wont get it with the little one in your room.
-don't try to get him on a schedule by the clock, it is more by a routine, you'll see, it makes life so much easier, but don't plan on being on one for a few months
-and most important, go with your gut feeling, you'd be surprised how much you know with out even realizing it and enjoy every moment!!!
My Advice comes from the famous Dwight Schrute of Schrute Farms:
"The Schrute's considered children very valuable. In the olden days women would bear many children so that there were enough laborers to work in the fields. And if it was an especially cold winter and they didn't have enough grains or veggies they would eat the weakest of the brood...haha, no they didn't eat the children...it never came to that!"
first of all. get an epidural!!! not that I would know the difference, but i got it and had such a pleasant labor experience.
Hopefully someone has told you that nursing is hard....that came as a surprise to me.
and after a couple months, let the little babe cry for a bit at night until he falls asleep again through the night. It worked after 2 nights for us and he's slept for 10-12 hrs through the night since. a dream.
the first few months are so sweet! you'll see. they're so mini and immobile. Good Luck!
p.s. i know your sisters and our parents are in the same ward...in case your wondering who's giving you nursing advice.
Bring your own pillow and blanket to the hospital. Clean out the hospital's Lorna Doone supply... those cookies are good! Don't expect your baby to be the "perfect baby"- my point is that babies do cry. Cherish those first moments, they are so special and they pass by way too quickly! Write down your thoughts so that you will remember them. Expect painful nipples for a couple of weeks (ask the nurse for some Lanolin)! And lastly, I second what everyone else has said that even though you might not think so... only you know what is best for your baby! Enjoy the hospital spending time alone with just you, Brandon and baby boy:) Sorry so long, I could go on and on... I guess I am just really excited for you! Love ya!
MEG I am so excited for you two! I think first if Brandon can stay at the hospital with you the whole time it is such a great way to bond with your husband and little one as a new family. The nurses gave Dave so many great tips on bathing, swadling, and diapering it gave him so much confidence when we got home he was so eager to help and even show me a few tricks he learned! #2 Bring a comfy sweat suit I brought a black one with a zip hoodie and tank tops I changed into it right after delivery. I felt so great being in normal clothes,cuz you will want to take walks in the halls.#3 Ask if they have a lactation specialist on staff my RN was one and she saved my life it made things really really easy.#4 Have your bag ready My DR tod me I would go over 90% sure I went into labor the next day 3 1/2 weeks early! Best of Luck! Cant wait to meet him!
Lots of what I am thinking has been said...
-Nursing is harder than people make it out to be, but get throught the first 2 weeks... and it totally worth it!
- Dont let the Nurses freak you out... if your baby doesn't eat every 2-3 hours, poop 5 times a day, and have 6 wet diapers... they are still normal!! I felt like they stressed TOO much about feeding all the time! I feel when they are hungry they will cry...
- Don't try and do a schedule for a few months, they wont do it and it's too frustrating!
-Nobody ever told me they didn't connect right away with their baby... I definitely didn't with Ava and I felt like the worst mom... just know of u feel like I did... its normal!
- Don't wish for the next stage... it comes TOO quickly!
-Don't put off getting an epidural... it's just REALLY not worth it!! It didn't slow down either of my labor... actually it sped it up!
I think that's it!!I am sure I could go on forever! We are so excited for you guys! And cant wait to hear the name!! Good luckto you!
Megan-this is random, but I used to work with Brandon at Cardon. I think we met once. Now you guys work with pretty much my entire family, so I saw your link on Ashlii's blog. I was just going to tell you, I remember the night before I had my baby girl I cried because I was seriously so scared. Then, the next day was the best day ever-seriously, labor=awesomeness. So that part isn't as scary as people say. Nextly, I still think I'm not prepared enough to be a mom!! It's not like you have to pass a test at the hospital, and then the reward you with your baby! So-just go with the flow. That's my random advice. Sorry that I'm totally creepy and commenting on your blog!!
just a thought....the comment from "steven" was not from a random man. Tell brandon that it was from katie "machin" now mortensen. That would be weird!!
hey megs! i loved your post. youre gonna do awesome! i didnt know this but if you plan to formuka feed ever, formula poop is like nast thick green paste and the smell is awful! walmart sells these amazing little baby diaper baggie things that are scented, throw one of those bad boys in there and you cant even smell it. its great for when youre out n about and also if you dont want your trash stinking really bad. youll love them when he is older and has real dfood poop too. Good luck! being a mom is the greatest and coolest and funnest thing ever.
ps, i had an epidural and when the doc was stitchin me up after draven was born, i totally farted a nasty long fart in the docs face. i couldnt control it because of the epidural. all i could do was laugh. do if that happens to you just know i did it too. lol
Post a Comment